"God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us." Romans 5:5
The Sacred Heart Parish Women's Guild is a community of women who contribute to our parish, our surrounding community and those in need throughout the world. The objective of the organization is to provide an opportunity to become better acquainted with women of our parish and to support the parish through various activities and fundraising.
The list of activities extends throughout the year and offer something for everyone! Meetings are held each month, with two meetings each year combined with the Knights of Columbus. All meetings are held in the evening and include entertainment, food and beverages for a minimal charge.
This spring, the Women's Guild provided flowers that were presented to the Mothers of Sacred Heart on Mother's Day. It was a wonderful gift and a nice way to honor our mothers!
Some of the activities include: Bunco; Fall Fashion Show; Movie Night; The Sweetheart Spa; and the Advent Dinner and St. Patrick's Day Celebration with the Knights of Columbus.
There are also several activities designed to give back to the parish and our community:
** Baptismal cloths are made for babies baptized at Sacred Heart;
** Bake sales raise money that is contributed to various organizations;
** Parish office luncheons are provided as a way to say 'thank you' to the parish staff;
** Hats and gloves are collected to give to those in need;
** Salads and cakes are provided for Sacred Heart funeral luncheons;
** Meals are provided and served to the Catholic Worker's House, for parish projects, and the parish picnic.
To be a member of the Sacred Heart Parish Women's Guild is to be a contributing member of the parish and the community.
* Chris Magruder and Julie Nelson spoke about their radio show Catholic Women Now.
* Colleen Murphy from the Iowa Tourism office shared ideas for great Iowa getaways, day trip destinations and tips for our upcoming fall color trips!
* Marilyn Lane provided a presentation of Medjugorje followed by a devotion to Mary (Roary and music);
* A Presentation by Diane Roupe, the author of the cookbook "Blue Ribbon country canning: State Fair & Award Winning Traditional and Modern Favorite Recipes;
* Celebrated St. Patrick's Day with dinner and music with the Knights of Columbus;
* Held bake sales to raise money;
* Collected mittens and hats to donate to those in need;
* Gathered boxes of baby items for Gabriel's Project;
* Had a holiday party with the Knights of Columbus;
* Enjoyed a night of bunco;
* Pam Douglas (Art and Environment) provided a brief history and tour of our church;
* Teresa Dunbar (Catholic Relief Services) shared her experiences from her trip to Haiti;
* Rosario Manzano (Hispanic Ministiries) talked about Hispanic Ministiries at Sacred Heart.